WHAT SHOULD I KNOW BEFORE APPLYING FOR SWIM ACROSS THE STRAIT OF GIBRALTAR?
- The first thing you must know before swim across the Strait of Gibraltar is this challenge have experienced a boom over the last few years. Every year, the demand continues to grow and as a result the Association has had to implement a procurement process.
- Waiting lists can exceed two years. This timeframe will give you the opportunity to get information and train yourself in order to be brilliantly successful and achieve your goal. The association works to reduce these waiting times mixing swimmers and other techniques, so the allocation of dates depends to a large extent on the flexibility of the swimmers.
- Please read all the information, rules and requirements posted on our website. It is essential for your crossing.
- Should you need further information, please write an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dates requested cover a one week period from April to November.
FIRST CONTACT WITH THE ASSOCIATION
We advise you to let us know as soon as possible about your interest in requesting a date due to the long waiting lists, even if you have not specifically trained for this crossing yet. Please fill in the registration form on our website with the information requested. Please note that the date on which the registration form is sent will determine your assigned date.
You can contact us regarding any information about our association: prices, conditions, staff, rules, operating procedures etc by our email email@example.com
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY SUPPLEMANTARY INFORMATION BEFORE RECEIVING THE CONFIRMATION FROM THE ASSOCIATION FOR YOUR CROSSING.
WHY A PARTICULAR DAY CAN´T BE AWARDED?
If you have been informed about the Strait of Gibraltar, you will already know that it is a complicated area in terms of weather conditions. Its strong and changeable winds and its complex currents and tides make it practically impossible to fix a day for your crossing. Therefore, due to these sudden changes, the Association books a date for you that covers a full week so as to increase the probability of success for swim across the Strait of Gibraltar. The crossing may therefore take place on any of these days depending on weather conditions.
IMPORTANT: ACNEG reserves the right to decide about priority for crossings (depending on different criteria).
WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT MY CROSSING IS A CONDITIONED ONE?
ACNEG receives a lot of applications from swimmers who come from different countries or even from other continents. These swimmers have to invest a high amount of money and time to arrive in Tarifa.
The special weather conditions of this area makes it impossible to assign dates for sure, but also, surprise us with great days for which there are no swimmers available in the nearby area. Consequently, a crossing is considered to be conditioned when the swimmer or swimmers can come to Tarifa from very nearby places and therefore they can travel within a short period of time and take advantage of the excellent weather conditions. These swimmers must be ready for this short notice in terms of training and availability.
WHAT SHALL I DO IF ACNEG HAS ALREADY SENT ME AN EMAIL WITH THE DATE FOR MY CROSSING?
- Make the most of this time to get information about tides and weather conditions in the Strait of Gibraltar.
- Prepare your physical and mental state, set your sights on achieving the minimum requirements (3 km / hour) and then increase them before coming.
- Find out how the crossing is made, train for this coordination (in case of groups), as well as the necessary times that this requires in feedings and stops. The Strait of Gibraltar is not suitable for swimmers with little experience in open water swimming. Swimmers have to be well trained to swim in harsh conditions.
- Please send us the documents posted on our website (duly completed) in order to arrange for all necessary formal procedures with the Spanish and Moroccan Maritime Authorities to obtain their authorization:
- Copy of your passport or ID (if you are Spanish) in force.
- Swimmer or swimmers curriculum (average speed, crossings you have already taken part in…)
- Registration form from our website duly completed and signed.
- A medical certificate of the swimmer certifying that the swimmer is in good health conditions to perform this type of sporting event. This certificate must be signed and stamped by a doctor or authorized medical clinic. (All these documents will have to be scanned and sent to our email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Payment of 20% of total fees (deposit).
- We advise you to contract an accident insurance policy for any contingency which may occur during the crossing.
- Due to the fact that the crossing season coincides with the high season in this area, we advise you to book your accommodation well in advance. If you are interested, the association can advise you on accommodation, please contact our team.
At this point, so close to your crossing date, we would like to congratulate you on your great work and effort. Now it is our turn, we will assist and guide you before, during and after this experience. All our efforts will be aimed at guaranteeing your safety and provide you with all you may need to make this experience unforgettable. Happy Swim Crossing of the Strait of Gibraltar!